12-08-2023, 08:28 AM   #10
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
It doesn't really matter if it twists. It's twisting perpendicular to the force being applied, so the actual force transfer never changes.
Agreed - in the direction of the primary forces it is rigid. My thinking is that there's a lot of stuff down there (wishbones, drive shafts, steering links) which are thrown in many orientations (compression, rebound, steering angles) and not a lot of empty space. I'm slightly surprised that nothing makes contact when so much rotation is possible.

The other thing that's still rolling around in my head - could I end up with subframe damage because there is no give of any kind (not even a poly bushing)? I dodge most road imperfections I can see but have hit some at highway speeds at night hiding in puddles. In all my years of driving I've been blessed to never incur any "pothole" damage like you see some folks showing online, never even a flat. But with no give from the bushing, is something else which is designed to be unyielding going to give instead?

In reading monoball feedback that isn't F10 specific, I believe I've concluded that I would like the driving experience. Forum posters seem to have trouble describing whether they're encountering lots of NVH and chassis "bang" every time you hit a sharp edged bump or whether they're merely gaining road feedback they've never felt before. Do PASSENGERS notice the difference, or just the person hanging on to the steering wheel?

I'd love to have my old E-series road feel back in my F-series. If the "harshness" described by some is simply feeling the road in the steering, that's great. If the whole chassis crunches and bangs, and a pothole will bend or crack my subframe - not so much.
Appreciate 0