View Single Post
      08-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #57
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

From the pics I am not a big fan. The X6 has not grown on me enough to overcome the crappy rear visibility and price premium over an X5. If they can make the GT handle like a normal 5-series, not weigh more, and provide SUV-like practicality I do see the point of one. I think I'd still prefer and X5 Diesel if I was in the market for this kind of vehicle.

A 550 HP M-version of this thing would have me more interested.

The fact is BMW is heading into niches that are very profitable. It probably costs them no more to build a 6-series than a 5-series, but they make $10K - $20K more profit on a 6-series. Same goes for the 6 vs. X5. They have gone down the ultra-differentiation strategy, but as others have pointed out very few of those niches are really truly performance-oriented. Fact is BMW appeals to wealthy people who can afford one. And as they fill these niches, any wealthy person's needs can be matched by a BMW product, so they capture more value.

The question is whether they are pricing everything too high. Normal (non-M) 3-series easily cross into the $50K territory now!