View Single Post
      09-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #40
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

In theory I have no problem with the idea.

To me the 6 series has always been a 7-er coupe built on the 5-er platform, I believe this was certainly true for the E28/E24/E23 generation, and to a lesser extent the E60/E63/E65 generation.

The problem is they need to make sure that there is a good distinction between models, a model which is out and out a big two door with continent crushing capabilities (~think Ferrari 612), and a model which feels a lot smaller on the back-road blast. The current 6-er doesn't have the space to be the former, and is possibly a little to lardy to be the latter... and I get the impression that this will be the case with the new 6-er also, meaning a 5-er coupe will be left to be sportier and roomier... thats where I think it hurts the range... I may be wrong, we will see when the F12 is released.

In principal though, I will defend this model as much as every that BMW considering... BMW are offering choice, the more they divide the range down, the more options people can go for and still go to the BMW brand. Provided they can do this in a cost effective fashion, which It seems from what SCOTT says, they are heavily focused on sharing as much as possible to keep costs under control. My only worry is that they will spread themselves too thin, and they aren't developing the models that many enthusiasts are looking for, a Z2 (lightweight entry level sportscar), and a worthy range topper (a.k.a. Super Car).

At the end of the day though, people should be buying the cars because they serve the needs, and are desirable to the individual - this is why choice is better... and the fact that there are a wider variety of BMW's on the road DOES NOT detract from the quality of the models that the more cynical enthusiasts are keen on.

JOY IS CHOICE
Appreciate 0