Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
Since I got started in this hobby(for me), I have found that choosing a lens is one of the most difficult choices I have made in any hobby including cars, computers, and girlfriends. The reason is the costs invloved with these L lenses are such that you need to make sure it is something you will need. I bought the 70-200 F4 IS used from Samy's Camera here locally since I got it for 850 and new they are 1131 from B&H who has the best price right now. I tried the 15-85, 17-40, Sigma 10-20, tamron 12-24, Tokina 11-16 and I did not like any of them for the money and the only lens that would be usefull on my future 5D is the 17-40 and it has no IS which is going to be improtant for me long term as I get old.lol We can not always grab shutter speeds over 1/200th when stopping down to F11+. I like to be able to get those 1/15th shots and have them look sharp. The best I managed with no IS is 1/100th and got a pretty sharp image.

My next lens will be the 16-35L with the 5D. I almost got the canon 10-22 but again it is an EFS lens so it basically useless for the 5D. Once I get the 5D I plan to sell the T2i. The Crop body I will get will likely be the 7D since it has awesome AF and features. Crops are helpful with the 70-200 since you get that extra 100mm focal length on the 7D's 1.5x crop.

Anyway after I just saw a review of NIK software Viveza 2 of this guy who said "oh I whipped out my Canon 800mm Prime to snap a pic of this bird, and here is a link to it...For $14,000!!!lol Ya you better be pretty sure that is something useful, and you are going to make the money back on your photos.
Get IS whenever you can, it's worth the extra money. They open up all kinds of night shooting opportunities for you. Even with IS, you'll want a solid tripod for those stopped-down scenics at low ISO, even in the daylight.

If a 5D isn't too far in the distance, then the 24-105mm f/4L IS is excellent. It's true wide-angle to portrait length with IS. The 16-35mm is also truly excellent, but 16mm is VERY wide on a FF sensor. It's only needed for certain specialty shooting. I prefer my 24-105mm for its versatility and when I need a really wide image I stitch together a panorama.

Why do you mention the 7D? It's a 1.6x crop, BTW. It's a great camera, I own it and the 5D MkII, but it's more of a sports/wildlife body for most of us. I've got a 500mm on my 7D for wildlife and either the 70-200mm or 24-105mm on the 5D MkII for almost everything else. Once in a blue moon I put the 70-200mm and the 1.4x TC on the 7D for shooting relatively large animals or close animals.

Here's an example of the 24-105mm on the 5D MkII, with four or five images stitched together:

Sailing heaven, the British Virgin Islands as seen from Tortola by dcstep, on Flickr