View Single Post
      12-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #892
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

I have not heard of DxO before. I was planning on getting NIK Dfine for noise or actually the entire collection for 250 with my girlfriends student discount. That is why I got CS5 extended. No way I would of paid full retail for it. I like the NIK programs control point adjustments so you do not have to be forced to make global adjustments. I agree though that CS5's NR is a little poor, but I have heard that you can do NR on certain layers so as not to disturb the detail of the entire photo, but I ahve not figured that out yet. I do all of this in my spare time which I have very little of these days. I will have less with tax season around the corner.

The 1Dx is for Professionals or people with tons of money burning a hole in their pockets.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Shooting at ISO 1600 doesn't require luck, it requires correct exposure. Expose Right (to the right of the histogram) and know how your equipment works. The 7D and the T2i share the same sensor, so I'd be surprised if I couldn't duplicate my shot with the T2i. Lightroom or DxO is where to apply noise reductions. PS is not as good and LR is also a better place to do your geometric corrections.

LR, DPP and DxO are for RAW conversion, lens correction and other global adjustments. Save PS for masking, touching up isolated spots, HDR stacking and pano stitching, where its power is well suited.

Don't follow one impluse buy with a second one. If a D7000 is the camera your want, don't buy a D700, wait. If you decide to stay with Canon, then the 5D2 isn't going to disappoint you in its high-ISO performance. Realize that as soon as you buy either a Canon or a Nikon, there'll be a new camera out in six months that'll "beat it" is some aspect. The announced Canon 1D X looks like it's going to blow away all FF cameras in terms of ISO performance, fps speed and AF quality. That'll last no more than a year and some camera from Sony, Nikon or Canon will beat it in some or all of those aspects. That won't deminish the fact that it's a great camera with capacities that we could only dream of in the film days.

If you switch systems, make this the last time you do it. Buy good, competent bodies and focus your energy on getting the best lenses that you can afford for the type of shooting that you prefer.

Dave
Appreciate 0