01-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #48
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonschwartz View Post
I remember reading this thread last year, and thinking how wacky it was. Today, i experienced it in what could have been quite a catastrophic way. Arrived at a very busy and noisy Sainsburys petrol station early this morning. Pulled up to the pump, got out of car in a slight daze, filled her up with diesel and went inside to pay. Got back in to the car to find the blowers on and my heated seat on. Only then did i see the revs idling. Unbelievably, id managed to fill the car up without having switched the engine off. Still cant believe it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
I do aplogise but, how the hell can you forget to turn the engine off? The N55 and N57's are quiet, yes, but not that quiet! Surely you can hear it? The rev counter must also show idle and the car just tiny vibrations. Even in the loudest conditions, I struggle to see how you can leave it running, lock it and walk away. Surely the iDrive screen is still on as you get oit and lock it? Again, I apologise, but how the bloody hell can that happen?
It all depends on how noisy the immediate vicinity is and how many other issues you have on your mind, any of which could provide sufficient distraction.
I don't know how quiet the 520d is but I'm often in a situation where I cannot hear my 535d idling and, whilst I haven't yet unwittingly left the car with the engine running, I certainly wouldn't discount the possibility. To err is human..., but, of course, there will always be those who place themselves beyond such Earthly limitations
Appreciate 0