View Single Post
      02-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #648
Scare
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA

Hi guys,

The steering issues on the F10 is a well known problem in The Netherlands. Since this thread is still active I decided to register and share my story. I received my F10 520dA in march 2012. My car is a June 2010 build and was registered in September 2010. Being a former AG company car I expected no problems at all. For some reason I didn't notice the pull to the right during my test drive. After driving longer distances the pull became more apparent.

My dealer acknowledged the problem and referred to a Puma case. They wouldn't give me the number but promised they would fix it. My car was two days in the workshop and the engineers rotated the struts and applied the straight ahead software fix. The engineer mentioned that the steering would feel more weighty and that the suspension could appear more tight. My car felt different, much closer to my previous BMW's and the abrupt pull was gone. It still moves with the crown of the road and feels numb compared to hydraulic steering. I noticed that the steering started to feel different after approximately 80km. At this distance the car started to drift again. It is best described as the feeling someone is counter steering which makes the car drift left or right. Driving during a windy day was an absolute horror. After a few weeks I went back to the dealer and explained the problem with map car. My dealer consulted with BMW Germany and decided to replace the power steering rack and realign the car. This solved the 'wandering' and improved overall stability. The car now has a weighty feel to it and drives straight again. Still the electrical steering is no match for hydraulic steering but my F10 now isn't a safety hazard anymore.

1. ’Straight through conversion’ software update
2. Rotate struts + alignment
3. Replace power steering rack + alignment

I've read in German forums that the F10/F11 has had factory production issue with faulty suspension settings and out of tolerance power steering racks.

The same goes for the F30. The Dutch forums are littered with F30 owners complaining about the wandering and vibrations. BMW is addressing this problem with a software update, alignment and replacing steering racks.

Ps: I drove a 2011 520dA and 2012 520iA for comparison and both had the wandering and abrupt pull to the right.
Appreciate 0