View Single Post
      10-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
Sounds like it warms up much faster than yours does though, does the 535i still use the old cast iron block.

My last car as we discussed before would have the water temp up to 88-89 in that distance even in winter. This car has the oil temp hotter than that in the same distance, will be interesting to see if the oil still gets up to that temp so quickly in minus ambient temps. Part of it must be the benefit of the alloy block warming up much quicker than the old M57 block.
The N55 is an alloy diecast block, so no disadvantage there. But as you know, all our diesels have slow warm ups for the typical trips we do up here, so not expecting fast warm up, even in the petrol on a cold day.

Interesting on the trip this morning, as it was around 1C. I ran my IC recorder, so that I could replay the 'facts'. It took 7 miles to lift off the 70C marker and at 11 miles, when I stopped to fuel, was still below the first marker at about 90C. Just made the first marker (95C) at 13 miles.

Coming back home (45 mins later) it took about 6 miles to reach the 95C marker, and peaked at about 105C (ish) after another 3 miles.

Obviously warm up is much faster at higher ambient temperatures, but just shows that warming up the oil in a larger petrol engine can still take quite a mileage.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0