10-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Yes, if BMW believes it has exceeded the scope of the warranty by having to repair a damaged (rather than defective) component, then BMW will want assurances that you understand that BMW is really not responsible for fixing this.

The problem is that you are waiving very important rights. The minute you have a third party (BMW included) in repairing a damaged part of your car then your insurance carrier is completely off the hook from that point on.

So, lets say further examination reveals the bent control arm and the axle were damaged, then your insurance company does not have to repair the axle if the damage resulted from the same accident.

My concern is that you may be losing some very important rights by signing the BMW document.

Just tell BMW that you are an honest person and if the bloody control arm was damaged then explain it in writing and you will engage your insurance company.

On the other hand, if the control arm is not damaged, but really an engineering defect, then tell BMW to fix it under the new car warranty.

If you are out of warranty, then maybe you could consider signing the BMW docs. But, even then you could be losing some rights.

Bottom line, you should not have to sign any special docs since you have a warranty and you have insurance.
The problem is pulling to the right issue was there from day 1. And 2 dealerships looked at the car and did not find any suspension damage or at least never checked. All they did was alignement and software update. Now when BMW regional tech came to check the car he found a bent control arm.

I think the defect is due to BMW engineering or defective part not to the fact that I damaged suspension, and BMW playing a game here. If there is damage in suspension why BMW did not find it before? Also alignment specs were within normal few times, if there was a bent part it would have came up already. To bent a control arm you would need to damage a wheel I suppose and other components would exhibit some traces of an impact so that first time when dealership looked at it it would have been obvious.

Other forum members went through the same story already, and bent control arm did not help the problem though. I think BMW is insinuating my fault and washing their hands here.

Oh and the car has on 4000 miles on it and was bought less than 4 months ago, so it is under warranty.

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0