View Single Post
      03-21-2024, 09:44 AM   #13
SummerallGuard04
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i M Sport

Updating this thread: The DIY repair is still holding up just fine and I have not had to think about it since I did it. Today, and as a preventative measure, I went to the local tint shop to have them apply crystaline tint film to the windshield, to prevent further damage from heat and UV rays. They actually told me that there is a high likelihood that the water and moisture that they would need to spray when applying the film, has a very good possibility of making the dash worse as the moisture and water could (and most likely would) get under the leather and not play well with the already failing glue. I left the tint shop with no work done. As soon as I got home, I bought an OE BMW sunshade for the days I have to park outside for extended periods of time.

I think I have thought of every alternative to dash replacement and the only other thing that I can think of now is to do a dash cover but I really only wanted to satisfy that option as a last resort.

As for now, I will live with the dash as it is not that bad and is not very noticeable. I did install a strip of black, foam weather-stripping where the leather meets the windshield, in the way corner of the dash. When I injected the 3m glue and after it dried, it expanded slightly and started to come out of the ends. This was my greatest accomplishment with this DIY as it looks natural and hides the curled ends perfect, along with the dried, green glue.

Hope this thread helps someone down the road.

PS--I had to delete the embeded pics that I used above in previous posts bc flickr only allows me to save 50 pics and I had to save others.

Last edited by SummerallGuard04; 03-21-2024 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0