View Single Post
      05-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Thule makes a fit kit for the car, but it ends up being more expensive than buying the BMW factory rack (now that I have both a Yakima and a Thule rack from older cars...was hoping the fit kit might be cheaper, but it's not).

From what I can tell, you fold the cover out, set the foot down, and there's a captive screw that fits into a fastener in the roof. Fairly easy to install. No idea how much noise they may add, but should come off fairly quickly if not needed. I own a recumbent trike, and am hoping it will fit in the vehicle and still allow at least one rear passenger. Didn't want to maybe get a dealer car dirty, so didn't try it, but did measure...it will fit, but not sure of the best orientation...will have to wait for mine to show up.

The USA branch doesn't stock many of the options available elsewhere...for example, they have a neat front window cover, covers the windshield and the two front windows and part of the roof available in Germany. I bought one while I was there. Haven't tried it. Should keep the car much cooler on a hot, sunny day. A little worried it might freeze to the glass if used in the winter, but will probably try it.
Appreciate 0