View Single Post
      11-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
22andcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d Sophisto Grey/Cinnamon

Anti-Fog function - anything but!!!!

My car is currently with the dealership for them to investigate and hopefully sort out the Climate Control System Anti-Fog function's insane behaviour. After the first unexpected icy blast and a quick read of the manual, I soon realised that when you have 'AUTO' switched on the system will use the Air Conditioning to prevent the car from misting up when it feels appropriate - irrespective of whether you have AC or snowflake on.

What a useless and dangerous feature this has become in my car. Anyone with any experience of driving a car in a cold damp climate (as we have in the UK at this time of year) knows that constantly switching on and off the AC will have one result, constant annoying misting and demisting of the windows and residual dampness and condensation in the heating and vetilation pipes and vents. This is now the situation with my car. Leave it overnight on the drive when its cold and in the morning you are presented with condensation running down the front and rear screen. Whilst this is bloody annoying and far reminds me of my old mini days some 30 years ago, the other behaviour is down right dangerous.

I am driving along in the dark and rain on a busy motorway and bang gone is your lovely ambient 20 degrees and you are instantly subjected to an icy blast from the vents, then shortly followed by the car totally fogging all its windows, resulting in you being totally destracted from negotiating the traffic and instead fumbling for a resolution.

The only remedy is to switch off AUTO all together and have a totally manual system - which is not what I expect or have paid for. This means no auto stratification and no auto fan control.

The dealer has informed me, "other 5 series drivers at the dealership have expressed a similar frustration" so it looks like a feature.

This forum was directly responsible for BMW quickly and effectively correcting the jerkiness which was afflicting the 520d - as we collectively raised our complaints. So this is another rallying cry - are other members as hacked off at this pointless and imho a dangerous innovation?
Appreciate 0