07-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #36
caoimhinog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
Really? This is just beta 2 of iOS6. The first beta didn't show the senders name in the header and it was fixed in Beta 2. Apple typically has around 5 beta cycles before the general release. I don't see any reason why it will not improve over time. Also keep in mind that BMW may have to release a Bluetooth software update to address iOS6 just like like the BT update from December that address iOS5. Your running early beta software against BT MAP with a car MFG that doesn't have a firmware update to address the new Phone O/S and it mostly works already. Not bad at all at this stage.

Also, if your gonna come out here and complain it suggests that your not a true beta tester to begin with. Beta releases always contains some from of pain and are never ready for prime time or the general public. The beta release is for developers to migrate their existing code and leverage the new API's. If you can't deal with the pain then go back to 5.1.1 and then when the GA of iOS6 drops you can bitch & moan all you like.
Whatever.

I now have IOS 6 beta 3 on the iPhone and retested it with 2011 BMW F10 with BMW code 3.5.4 as before. It seems that beta 3 has fixed the "loading" issue associated with email messages and now displays substantially more, but not all, email text. Text messages appear fine but I have not tested SMS with more then 30 characters.

To understand what Bluetooth MAP can do (and should do) you need to see how BMW works with a Blackberry 9800. With BMW/Blackberry the iDrive downloads the last 70 emails and SMS complete messages from the Blackberry upon connection of the car to the device. With BMW/iPhone (beta 3) it does not download messages prior to connection of the phone to the car but rather downloads notifications of emails/SMS that arrive while the phone is connected to the car. Once the car and iPhone are disconnected and then reconnected, previously displayed messages are no longer displayed.

The BMW/Blackberry office integration also provides for calendar, tasks and reminders over bluetooth MAP which is very useful. For this to work, it is necessary to download an app from the Blackberry App Store (and pay $14 for the privilege). I have this working (see attached photos).

So if the measure of success is BMW/Blackberry intergration and features, then IOS 6 has some way to go. Once again, I hope they do it properly because I want to switch from Blackberry to iPhone.
Appreciate 0