View Single Post
      11-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Hopefully, the roads around where you drive are in perfect condition or you'll be spending lots of money on replacing wheels and tires. Where I live, neither would be a good choice. I opted for the stock wheels (18") so that they'd survive a typical drive where you dodge potholes and uneven road transitions. If the tire wall is that short, there's no protection for the rim and while they may look good (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), they aren't very practical. Great on a track, lousy on the road, at least the first time you bend, break, or otherwise mess up an expensive rim and probably a tire as well. There's a reason why BMW has disclaimers all throughout their documentation warning of the dangers of low profile tires and wheels. This isn't unique to BMW, it's a physical reality...a taller tire is much more likely to survive an impact on a less than perfect road without damage than a rubber band like one you'd have on 22". Pay your money, and take your chances, but don't complain when you need to replace things.
Appreciate 0