08-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #43
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Here we go again , this is exactly how I thought it was supposed to behave. However, to reiterate one of my earlier statements, whilst in stationary traffic on Monday, with the car in D, foot off the brake and auto-hold engaged, from the reflection in the car behind, I clearly saw that my brake lights were on. This was confirmed when I noted that they went off when I pulled away.
I'm talking about being stationary and using the hand/parking/electro-mechanical brake but without auto hold being switched on. In this situation and with the foot off the pedal, the brake lights will not illuminate irrespective of what position the shift lever is in. I've posted to demonstrate that, for example, it is possible to sit at a set of traffic lights with the car left in D and not have the brake lights illuminated (and thus causing glare for the driver behind). You can then pull away as normal by simply pressing the accelerator without having to disengage the hand/parking/electro-mechanical brake, as this is done automatically and imperceptibly.

I don't know why you're experiencing inconsistencies with the brake lights under auto hold. For me, every time auto hold engages, the brake lights are always illuminited (and this is exactly what I would expect). Are you also knocking the car into P or is your routine exactly the same every time?

One thing I haven't tried is to allow auto hold to engage and then apply the hand/parking/electro-mechanical brake and release the foot pedal. Will the lights be on or off?
Appreciate 0