View Single Post
      02-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
My experience over many years with diesel engines, 'moderation' is the word I'd use. But don't be too easy with a diesel, they do need a bit of work, not meaning high revs, to ensure you get good bedding in of the rings and prevent bore glazing (hence the oil burners). Plenty of reasonable and varied driving is the best way I've found to bed them in. Get some decent 50 to 100 mile runs (or longer), where there's plenty of heat in the engine. Worst case I can think of, is lots of short trips with cold starts for the first 1,000 miles.

Mpg does often improve over mileage but not always, some engines run well from day one. But have known a 'tight' VW diesel engine get to peak mpg at about 80k miles. Then a petrol engine can take 30k miles or more to get to best performance and mpg, so it's not just diesels.

HighlandPete
The more I read your posts the more interested I become in turbo diesels as a viable option. There might just be hope for this yank to one day get a diesel. I think I'd like to be one if those guys who keeps a diesel for life. It would be cool to lose that throw away mentality.

I live in a densely populated area and this engine seems like it would be a perfect match to my driving parameters.

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-08-2013 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0