02-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Get the Hud, but make sure you get it with the collision detection. These two systems work in tandem to save your butt. Together, these systems give you that extra margin of error that I am convinced helps to avoid accidents.

Taken with the fact that we have so many driver distractions, these two systems, when combined, form a brilliant safety mechanism.

When you are directly behind a car that is slowing down, aside from the brake lights, your only visual cue is the increasing size of the rectangular shape of his rear. Many times people do slow down without braking. Sometimes it is hard for your eyes to detect that the vehicle in front of you is slowing down. This system solves the problem.

You will see a "red" car in the HUD warning you of the impending collision. Plus, your brakes immediately prime. A quick light tap on the brakes will feel like you jammed on the brakes. Apparently, there is evidence that drivers often times do not stomp on the brake when they should; thus, the dynamic brake control intervenes and forces signifcantly more brake pressure when needed.

Now, the collision detection does work without the HUD, but the red wanring light "the red car" is in the dash and it does not grab your attention the way it does in the HUD.

I know this system can't prevent every collision, but you will find that your margin for safety is increased by proper use of this system.
A bit OT...I think it is a pity BMW does not include safety features such as adaptive cruise control with collision detection, lane departure warning, night vision, active protection, overtaking sensor, HUD etc. as standard. In Sweden they can only be chosen separately and cost thousands of dollars. :
Appreciate 0