03-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #35
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00r View Post
I'm definitely set on the 550xi. It's kind of sad that after only 4 years a car is considered a ticking time bomb.

I'd love to have a '14 but the price is a little more than what I am looking to spend right now.

This thread has basically left me just as confused as before I started it
I don't think it's necessarily a ticking time bomb, but let's call a spade a spade... V8's aren't the bread and butter of BMW - never were. The N63, in particular, has had its fair share of problems that were addressed with the N63TU. And while it's perfectly fine to pick one up, if the car is out of warranty, you should expect it's not the greatest financial decision. Which is why I said above that a 535xi, if you're going 4 years old, is probably the better option. The N55 is a known quantity and pretty solid.

And as I said, considering you can tune the N55's power up pretty significantly with an inexpensive piggy-back chip, the remaining power difference, along with weight savings and improved MPGs, would probably make the 535xi a much better bet.

If you do still insist on the 550xi, I'd make sure it's a CPO.
Appreciate 0