View Single Post
      07-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Pleather
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

550i with Dinan Tune / Former M3 Owner

I'm not real active here, but I do visit often to read the posts. So I just made the jump from an 08 M3 to the 550i. That was my 3rd consecutive M3 over a 10 year period, and I can't tell you how hard it was to move on. I absolutely love that car and the previous versions, but it was time to try a little more luxury. The reason I'm posting this is to help anyone who is challenged with my same dilemma.

To clarify, I've already installed the Dinan tune and my build has the M package with sport trans. I'm not sure how else to say this, but this thing is a monster when accelerating. I never thought for a second that this car would be this fun. Maybe I had lowered my expectations considerably given what I was coming out of, but it truly shocks me when I stomp on it. I have no problem drifting this heavy car around a corner.

The down side which has been mentioned often is that it does handle like a big car. I think I've even read someone comparing this to an old Buick. Unfortunately there is some truth to that. Honestly though, what do you expect out of a huge comfortable car that can accelerate like this. If you want a cornering/handling machine...go m3 or m5.

So far I have no regrets on my decision. Do I miss my old car? Yes, but the new one makes up for it in other ways. Even the upgraded sound system is enough for me and I've spent more than I care to admit on sound systems over the years. Not sure this is helpful for anyone, but I'm happy with my new purchase. Cheers.
Appreciate 1
AlexL4.50