06-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
It looks like the US won't be getting the wagon, with the GT being the replacement. I hope BMWNA knows what they're doing, but I'd rather see the wagon here, or both. I liked the e60 wagon better than the sedan as it "fixed" the ugly rear end in addition to the extra utility. If the GT were sleeker and looked less like a giant Prius it would have more appeal.

The US also suffers from being out of sync with the rest of the world for powertrains. What's interesting is that a few other manyfacturers, including Dodge/Ram and VW, have figured out how to build diesels that don't require things like AdBlue. Maybe know that BMW knows it can sell diesels in the USA it will develop "world" engines, and bring more over here.
Pity you don't get the wagon- it looks great in the pictures and son much more versatile than the sedan and without the GT price tag or "prius" looks. Have you noticed how heavy the GT is? One of the few criticisms I have of prestige cars (maybe all cars!) is that they are getting sooo heavy. But the powertrain and suspension is very advanced now.

I can't understand why your governments put such restrictions on the diesels, preventing manufacturers bringing in their best engines. On a fuel economy basis it's madness not to push diesel engines!

Good luck with whatever you decide.