02-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Thank you. (BTW, sorry to hear that the Eibach springs didn't happen...not to rub it in, but I'm still happy with the Eibach ride)

All parts are OEM. The only place I saved big bucks by doing my own shopping is with the bumper cover. Everything else was about 25% below OTC retail.

The bumper cover $300, plus $70 shipping (Greyhound lost it, then found it and finally got it to me) on eBay (unused, but painted, badly, the wrong color)
M sport grilles $125 from a fellow forum member
Roundel $0, re-used
all of the other parts ($400) are either from getBMWparts.com or my local BMW parts shop which gave to me the same price as getBMWparts.com
Wasted money shipping some parts I ordered that I did not need back to getBMWparts.com ($100)
Prep, paint and install at West Coast Specialties about $780. The next customer at WCS for this project will save some money because of mistakes I made with some parts that were not needed that they tried to use and one part I had not provided which stopped work. I wasted 1.5 hours of their time, and I paid for it.

With my parts list, go to any online BMW parts site, fill the shopping cart, print it, and take it to your local BMW parts department and ask them to beat the price. You may be surprised. That's how I got a reduced price from my local dealer.

I lost $100 on shipping $200 of wrong parts back for a refund. That shipping cost was an unexpected downside to shopping online. My local BMW guy took back any parts I did not end up using, for nothing more than the gas and time to get there.

The final cost will be unknown until I have sold my original bumper. Only then will I be able to close out the "books" on this project.

Regards,
MWPos
Appreciate 1