Thread: 520d mpg figs
View Single Post
      01-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #63
mani
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

new to the forum (hi)... just ordered a 520d manual and hoping for good mpgs!

The test car I had (520dMT Tourer with about 1000miles on the clock) averaged between 36 and 39mpg but I tend to cruise around 90ish on the m-may and tend to use most of the performance most of the time. Plus this is a BIG car - really felt it, especially when braking, compared to my current car.

I think it depends massively on:
- style of driving (I get 26-27mpg from my current 330i, my wife gets 33-34mpg over same roads)
- mix of roads, natch, but also elevation... nothing kills my mpg more than a drive over hilly roads. if you live in a flat country/county you would get much higher mpg
- weight in car. not being insensitive here.... I have friends with boot-fulls of crap they cart around everywhere for no reason, plus I always run my tank dry and fill up fully so on average it is only half full.... if you keep topping your tank up (never letting it get below half full/empty) it will make a difference. Imagine how much 70 liters of fuel weighs!

I suspect in reality the standard cars are pretty close on mpg due to manufacturing tolerances etc.

PS - talking style of driving.. this shows the difference it can make - this is my range on full tank (after creeping up the m-way at 60ish) - remember this is a 272bhp 330i !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0