View Single Post
      12-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
andrew520d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 25d

I drove a 520d for almost 3 years before I got the 330d and I had become used to the quality,comfort and refinement.
I mistakenly thought the 3 series would give me the same in a slightly shrunken package but with more excitement when required.
In reality I found while I loved the power and refined engine, it had too much wind and road noise, rattled and was too obviously built to a lower price point. The plastics and interior quality were too a much lower standard, and the audio is woeful.
I knew this when I test drove but felt the driving experience would more than compensate. in the end it didn't.
95% of the time when you want to get somewhere safely and in comfort the 5 is in another league but the other 5% when you want to have a blast and a "spirited drive", the 3 is undoubtedly greater fun.
Size wise the 3 interior is not too bad if you don't carry passangers too often.
For me the 5 is better but I could see why some would choose the 3.
Ideally I would have got a 530d to replace the 330d but they are not to be found easily in the republic of Ireland and are a disaster residually if bought new, just like my 330 was.
Appreciate 0