04-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Not sure if this is the case for BMWs, but I remember reading that oil that comes with brand new cars is "different" from regular oil and it's recommended to be replaced soon after break in period in order to get super fine metal bits (result of break in perhaps) out. Can't reliably say this is true, though I did it with my last 3 new cars I owned.

I suppose it all depends if you plan to keep the car longer, but can't hurt to do it. If BMW manual states 10K miles I guess that's safe, but can't hurt to ask someone you trust at the dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
Didn't have my car since new so I doubt the oil was changed at 1200 miles, but I do maintain 5,000 mile oil change intervals. I own and do it for the peace of mind as I tend to keep cars longer than most people.
I've been using 10K-15K synthetic oil changes for the last 15 years. I bought a 2000 Lincoln LS new and after the free oil changes (they went 5K with a synthetic blend) quit at 12K miles I switched to Mobil1 and the 10K-15K interval. My daughter now drives the car and it was over 186K miles. It passed a recent check-up and smog check with flying colors.

Mobil1 touted yearly or a 25K interval when it was first introduced. True synthetics are much better than any conventional oil. Check it out......
Appreciate 0