View Single Post
      05-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

Last time a guy hit me in the rear fender because his lane is merging into mine and I am square in my lane. I stopped and that guy said "WTF man, you know how to drive" So I told him I m in my lane, you are changing lane, you hit me and ask me if I know how to drive?

We were having a discussion and the guy is saying you want to move the car out of the way first, I was like yeah right So I ended the conversation by calling the police. Police came and looked and draw some sketching and asked us to move the car first, then the routine stuff took a statement and the police ask me to speak to that guy first about settlement.

The guy soften his tone and said hey I know a shop they can fix it for you. I politely decline his offer and he raise his voice again, saying is the same to do it outside or BMW paintshop. I said I don't care, no one ask you to hit me right?

So he is like ok then let's take it to the police station and see who's fault is it, I m like ok sure.

After I went through all the trouble of giving a more detail statement and everything the guy offer me 5,000 dollar for the respray of the bumper and bodywork on the rear fender.

So in the end I need to go to the police station and tell them the guy has settled, the police said really? I was about to send him to hell something along that line.

If you know you are not at fault, don't settle on the spot without calling the police and video can help with the investigation, but they cannot use it as evidence.

Even if you call police you can still negotiate the settlement before it is taken to the court. I don't think it will affect the NCB if you are not at fault, you can check that with the insurance company. What they do is they file a claim to the insurance company on the person who hit you, those things are covered the third party liability insurance.

Comprehensive just cover your own damage like if you hit a wall while parking, those may affect your NCB if the damage excessive i.e. you need over 10K to fix your damages. Other things like cracked windshield, my policy will not affect NCB if you promise to buy from them next year. So need to check with your insurance company first.
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i
Appreciate 0