01-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Sure, new to new will cost more in a 535i. UK figures (WhatCar magazine) seem to indicate about a 25% additional cost to run a (non optioned) 535i vs. 520d over 3-years/36,000 miles. I thought it would be higher, but the 520d isn't so far behind on purchase cost as we may first imagine.

It is difficult to put a value on the differences, other than outright performance, but there are tangible values in running a better engine, IMO. As an example, I just love the way the N55 engine works in the 5-series, very similar in delivery to my E39 540i 4.4 V8, so in a totally different league to a 520d 4-pot diesel. For me every mile therefore has additional value.

I drive about 8k miles per year in the 535i, so fuel isn't a big issue, About 50% more than if I was in a 520d, in my driving conditions. So about £500 more per year, (6ppm) in the big scheme of car running costs of about £1 per mile.

But I wouldn't have a 520d anyway if running a diesel, it would be a 530d, so fuel difference is even less.

If users are driving high mileage then the 520d makes so much sense, as fuel costs are a much larger % of running costs.

As I said in the previous post, I've capped my costs by buying nearly new. Allowed me into the car I really prefer, much bigger specification, and skipping over £20k of the depreciation hit.

HighlandPete

For what it is worth my 10 month 535D has now covered 11,000 miles and my journey to work is about 18 miles each way, mostly stop-start and i get around 37 Mpg...i consider this to be pretty good, on the motorway i get around 45 Mpg...depending on the way i drive !
Appreciate 0