02-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #34
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo View Post
Hmm, so S6 is better than 550. Oh well, as usual I've made a mistake when I bought 550x. I wish I've bought S6, printed "car and driver" comparo and attached to rear window so everybody could read it and understand why I have this car. And than at every traffic light when I line up with another car I will switch launch control on and step on it. I will leave them all in a dust and will keep pulling away until I see all those loosers gone (especially 550 owners).

To be serious, I test drove S6 and 550ix. Twice, each car. They both felt very fast. Both are fine cars. And no, S6 never felt any faster - not at all.
I just could not get over the fact that navigation in my car must have an erection to be on. And seats with no ventilation. And the fact that I must overpay. And wait for 6 moths. And.... enough.
My thoughts exactly. While I like to see the auto companies compete with each other on performance, because it improves the breed, I won't base a decision to buy a car on 0-60 times that are within half a second of each other. Especially a midsize luxury sedan like the BMW 5 or Audi 6 models. Unless you're a total tool, blasting off at each traffic light won't be part of your daily drive. How do they compare in the more important 30-50 and 50-70mph numbers? Pretty darn close again. And if you're really planning on track days, go for a M3.

I also looked at both the 550i xDrive and S6 before opting for the 550. In the end, there were a number of reasons I chose the Bimmer: price, interior quality/design, overall style, front seat comfort, I could go on... And I would never pay a dealer markup for a car. How is the rest of the dealer experience going to be when the first thing they do is gouge you on the front end?
Appreciate 0