View Single Post
      02-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I've done some damage on the F30/F32 side, now it's time for F10. This is by no means exhaustive, I just happened to hit on a productive VIN range, but there's no guarantee all new F10s are in that range.
Thank you for your continued efforts. The information is very much appreciated.

Quote:
The first VIN below shows the LCI 550i touring with uprated N63Tu 445-bhp/480-lb.-ft engine (just as the 650i Gran Coupe and 5GT already received last year), good for +45hp / +30 lb-ft torque over the N63 engine.
Just to add to what you said, all 650i models including the coupe and convertible, as well as the 750i, got the N63Tu last year too. So, once the 5 Series LCI arrives, all passenger cars that formerly used the N63 will have been upgraded to the N63Tu. The SAVs will get the new engine when the F15 X5 and F16 X6 arrive. This leaves just a few legacy engines (N43, N52, N53, N54, S65, and original S63) that don't employ Valvetronic throttle operation, and those will all disappear within the next year and a half or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Looks like BMW is bumping model designations for US compared to EU:

EU 320d becomes US 328d.
EU 530d becomes US 535d.
Yes, that does appear to be the case. Someone mentioned in another thread that the single-turbo engines were essentially already compatible with our emissions requirements for passenger cars. The twin-turbo versions would presumably have required more R&D in order to be certified for the US. I don't care for the model name changes, but I suppose that was an inevitable marketing tactic.
Appreciate 0