11-01-2011, 05:01 AM   #12
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjgreen1 View Post

Further questions (sorry)...my wife and I both use iPhones, I've read the options booklet and am still a little unclear what I need in order to have them work with the car. I get the impression that the standard USB integraton will play music but can I control that music from the steering wheel controls or for that kind of functionality do I need the telephone USB audio interface I specified?

As someone who simply uses the car to cruise in comfort, what are the advantages of the sport auto box? I can see that the idea is a nice one but, of those who have the sport box, how often do you actually use it (especially the paddles)?

Finally, I read something about it elsewhere but I feel I should ask...has anybody deselected the smoker's package? I presume doing do will have relatively little influence on ease of resale and means there'll be more of those little cubby-holes and small storage spaces knocking around the vehicle?

Thanks in anticipation...I know I'm full of questions but want to make sure I get this right, I'm hoping to buy a car for the family for (perhaps) the next five years.
It really is down to personal preference. Xenon wouldn't go without his visibility package; for him it adds to the experience greatly. I personally cannot see the cost-benefit and don't in any way feel that I am missing anything. Similarly I wouldn't dream of going manual. The auto box is superb and hugely enhances my driving experience. I would never buy another car without it.

Your point on the 18" wheels is true. I do at times look at the car and think they look a bit small, but I can't really say it bothers me and so I spent the money on other things.

Oyster black looks very nice and is wearing well for me.

The Touring is a really good car. My friends joke that it's a hearse, but I like being able to fold down the seat, throw my mountain bike in the back and head off, all in about 2 mins.

I agree that the little niggles can wear over time and detract from your experience. You'll want to be v careful which month build you get I expect.

I think folding mirrors are nice. I don't have them and once it a while I do have to manually fold them up in a multi-storey but again I wanted other stuff more......

Your question about the iPhone again depends on the build date I believe. My January build works with my iphone and I control it all from the iDrive. I *think* I can control it from the steering wheel but as I sit here at my desk I cannot be sure. As for it's use, I tend to plug it into a £3 retractable USB cable whenever I get into the car and stick it in the glove box. I've done bluetooth streaming and it works fine, but you know those iphones have a crappy battery so I tend to leave it plugged in.

The sports auto has 2 benefits over standard auto for me (and I don't mean the prettier shift stick):
1) on the occasions I want to pull away from the lights quicker than the next guy and when I'm enjoying a drive on quiet country lanes it really changes the performance characteristics and is very enjoyable.
2) when in a busy built up area, sometimes you need the greater responsiveness that you get from being in a lower gear than would be the case in normal mode. I don't mean I tear around housing estates or anything, but when there is a fair bit of traffic and you need to get somewhere you want to be able to pull out quickly into the gaps that appear etc.....
The paddles only cost £100 extra as I recall so I had them. they look nice. I use them rarely as the sports auto is very very good. They are good for dropping down 2 or 3 gears when cruising in the middle lane at 65mph when you want to accellerate into a gap in the fast lane. Similarly if you want a fast exit from a corner on a country road. Really though, for me it's just a pretty ornament.

I REALLY wish I had deselected the smokers package. I have the ash tray jammed now for the third time with a 2p coin that fell down the back. Bloody irritating.
Appreciate 0