10-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #21
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABMAN View Post
OK, I see from your signature that you have a RWD (i), so now I understand where your coming from. My first F10 (2011) was a RWD, and if I recall I was running 18" winters, the car was horrible in the winter, I would be at a traffic light in snow and by the time the car got going all the other cars at the light with me were long gone. I think I lasted 2 winters like that , my Dealer switched me out of that car and into his 2012 XI
Demo with Msport Pkg, AWD makes all the difference in our climate with this car, I can never go back to RWD, I just switched into a 2015 XI this past June which BMW needs to take back so I am awaiting a new 2016 which should arrive in December. As previously mentioned an XI with 19" winters was a breeze the last few years,the car went through everything and I never had an issue in snow or ice .
Of course, AWD is much, much better, our other car is AWD with great winter tires and it's shocking good, I'd be a fool to argue that RWD is a better option in the winter.

That said, (personal opinion) it's "oh-so-much" more fun to drive (manual) RWD 5 series the rest of the year. So.... I'm willing to live with it in the winter with good winter tires. I honestly wasn't really sure I would be OK with it when I picked it up, but so far, I don't think it's horrible. I ski a lot and haven't cancelled any trips just yet - common sense and caution worked for me so far.
Appreciate 0