shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losco View Post
well, my car's JPN spec, and we don't get BMW assist here so only combox we get is media. I think my car was first batch of F10s with combox in japan. (build date oct. 2010)
Ok, your build is Oct. 2010, sames as mine. Earlier you wrote 10/09, and I was thinking your car was 12 months older.

In the U.S., you can't get the Combox without BMW Assist. That said, even without the BMW Assist "Service", I believe all Telematics are still though the Combox as it replaced the TCU Module.

From the Combox TIS:

"Although the Combox is only available in combination with the BMW Assist (option 639), different versions of the control unit are used depending on the vehicle's electrical system and optional equipment.

Vehicle electrical system BN2020 (L6[F0x] as of 09/2010)

• Combox with telematics (With BMW Assist)
• Combox with telematics and GPS receiver (With BMW Assist and Navigation)

With the introduction of the Combox the Telematic Control Unit (TCU) is no longer needed nor installed.

All BMW vehicle telematics functions are enabled by the Combox with no additional control units required.
"

The fact that yours upgraded from TX-003.004.031 to TX-003.005.004 with the UPD01004.bin flash seems to support that your Telematics too are part of the Combox, even without BMW Assist.

Again, what I would like to know though is what exactly determines the TX/MX version you get out of the UPD01004.bin flash, as there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it yet, and what does version TX/MX 3.5.4. include that I am not getting in TX 2.6.4 / MX 2.5.21.

Frankly, I can't see any reason for BMW to not put the latest software version on every Combox equipped vehicle, unless the software is somehow not backwards compatible with older hardware (Combox) units. That though doesn't seem to jive with their BMW Combox Launch promotional claim:

"Along with the new features and functions that the Combox enables, one of its key advantages is that it will be upgradeable, allowing it to continually be compatible with the latest and greatest devices on the market."

If you can't upgrade to the latest Software versions, then it isn't fully upgradeable.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0