10-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #73
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
This is where we will differ

1. 528 is the cheapest 5 series in this discussion. That makes it the low entry into the line. It does not make the buyer a little man trying to obtain status for buying it. Maybe the buyer wants to commute 100km each way per day and wants a nice car that can get a few more mpg than a 535 and is willing to sacrifice some power to do so. I am not sure where you are thinking and arguing they status is any part of this. Your argument on something that is non existent makes it hard for me to read anything else you say with much value towards your reasoning.
So 528<535<550 ?
That is what the numbers say, but if you follow the designation entirely, you are missing alot.
The 528 is a NA 3.0, the 535 is a turboed 3.0.
If turbos were so absolutely superior to NA, would not all cars have them now (well they are now, but due to eco regulations)? No, because there are DRAWBACKS to turbo.
Ofcouse BMW, or any company selling something, wants us to follow their 'take' on what they are selling, but if you actually understand the object, you can see there are discrepancies between what they claim they are selling, and what it actually is.

Quote:
2. I will agree that those who get excited by the i6 may be sad to see it go. But anyone who felt that the i6 was grossly underpowered in the 5 will most likely be indifferent. To me the 528 has always been about cruising in style and comfort while maintaining a sort of efficiency and nothing about putting my foot down and feeling the rush.
I don't love my N52 f10 for econo-cruising. I can't wait for the engine to warm up so i can rev it to 7rpm I can.
That is why the '528' with the 255hp N52 is so special.. you get a racy engine (with the awesome 8spd auto) for an un-premium price.
Now with the 2.0T 528, the whole line is rationalized .. you more or less get what you pay for.

Quote:
3 I'm not caught up in marketing because I've driven both and feel each is equally unimpressive leading me to lean towards the one that provides better mileage.

I have to ask if you've driven the i4 yet? If so what are your real world impressions of it vs your real world impressions of the i6?
You should race the N52 f10, if you still dont like it.. but that's what i like.
I have not driven the new N20, who knows? I could be totally impressed. But this is what it's up against, in the N52.
Appreciate 0