Thread: HID Conversion
View Single Post
      09-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

So are you saying it's legal to fit after market non OEM HID lights or not?

You seem to infer it is because you have had cars successfully pass their MOT's with aftermarket kits fitted, but then also seem to suggest it is because the MOT tester is passing them as, he either isn't aware or actually checking what bulbs are in fact fitted.

It may well be that the cars are passing the beam spread pattern test and I don't doubt that in the case of projector lenses they work perfectly fine, but technically they are not conforming to EU standards if not truly compliant with the regs and if someone gets pulled by VOSA they may well be subject to a fine etc.

In regards to a car passing an MOT with the odd minor indiscretion, it's quite easy and not unlikely for an MOT tester to, dare I say show leniency, if they are getting a good volume of work from one customer putting a number of cars their way each week. Especially if they are a known quantity and not likely to be trading standards checking on his work!

In any case it would be quite easy to say that the car simply didn't have them on when the test was carried out some weeks / months after if it should ever actually become an issue.