12-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hramdon View Post
This makes me crazy scared. I just purchased a '11 550i sDrive Msport roughly a month ago. It has about 43k miles on it now. It was listed as a CPO, but the previous owner had a set of Accelera brand tires and the dealer said that cancelled the CPO, and they did not want to spend the money on a new set of tires. So the car was heavily discounted, and sold with just the remaining original factory warranty. At the time the car was listed at the dealer, the CarFax did state CPO; not sure what is says since then. I haven't had much issues so far.
I'm not sure who makes the decision on CPO designation, BMW NA or the dealership. It's likely a combination, with BMW NA setting the guidelines in which the dealerships must abide to extend the CPO designation. I've heard the switching tires malarkey before from the dealership, and although they say "the car's suspension is tuned for run-flats", there's no way putting a more supple forgiving tire on the vehicle is a bad thing. Ultimately, BMW makes the rules, and can invalidate warranties or deny CPO coverage for whatever they want.

You may or may not have issues in the future, it's impossible to predict. What you can take away from my experience is, that if major mechanical issues befall you, the repair expense can be extreme.

Hopefully good fortune is on your side.