View Single Post
      01-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #34
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzbullseye View Post
Details from the latest conversation with my SA...apparently the stuck injector and bent rod theory was incorrect. Upon removing the piston and rod, they found no deformation of the rod itself. The SA indicated that the original height measurement they performed was done through the spark plug hole and turned out not to be accurate. What they did find was that all the rings on the piston had rotated so the gaps in the rings were in alignment with each other (normally the gaps should be staggered) - thus allowing the loss of compression. The alignment of the gaps occurred because the cylinder wall was out of round by a small amount (1/2000th I think he said) - evidently the result of a manufacturing defect at the factory.

Ultimately the result is the same, BMW will determine whether to replace with a short or long block. My SA indicated that due to a shortage of head bolts on the North American continent (they can't reuse the old ones because the bolts stretch upon initial tightening), BMW may lean towards replacing with the long block as it includes the bolts in the pre-assembled unit.

I should know their decision early next week...
I doubt they'd replace with a long block vs a short block because of scarce bolts in NA. They can be shipped overnight from Germany for $100.00. Of course if they are in short supply in Germany ....

Its hard to know if they have the correct diagnosis now, but given that they are replacing the engine, I guess it doesn't matter. I'm a bit concerned that they couldn't do the initial measurement correctly, makes me wonder what else they can't do right. Good luck though.