02-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #18
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf1993 View Post
Interesting....your research comment runs contrary to what I've seen and read, especially for very young children/infants. But, i have not looked into this recently (past 3-4 years, since i purchased my 2008 BMW 535 xi w/rear airbag option). If you saw something online, please provide the link.

My daughter had her first baby 6 months ago and, in her birthing class, they warned about rear side airbags Plus, my 2008 BMW had bold red stickers on the inside door panel (only visible when door was open...near the lock) that said something like "this car is equipped with rear side airbags which may pose a danger to small children."
There are different cultures around car and child safety in different countries. The report I was referring to was sponsored by one of Sweden's major insurance companies that are well known for their research on actual crashes.

In Sweden, the general advice by authorities and insurance companies is that children should be seated facing backwards until they become at leat 4 years old. And you can find child seats that makes this possible here. It's a totally different situation in the rest of Europe and I would imagine in the US too. I wouldn't say that everyone else is wrong but I can see the logic in being faced backwards when the crash happens.
Appreciate 0