View Single Post
      04-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
mmm .... bad news. score 1-1. Then again, Autoweek is a very serious platform and the road on which they drove was far from perfect. I'm betting on Autoweek. They know what they are talking about, and test drive a lot of cars. Not saying of course, that I don't appreciate you're feedback, believe me I do, but I'll have to experience it myself. We all have different preferences, so ... let's wait and see. I expect it to be better than the current E60/E61 on run flat tyres. If not, I will skip the bloody RFT ... and replace them with 18-inch Michelin, as I have done on my current E61 ....
Don't get me wrong, it is a very good car. I'm talking from Scottish Highland road experience and I must say I was surprised that it showed up flawed. I'm hoping to buy one, but know it will require the Adaptive Drive package, to get the ride to be more consistent. I'm still not sure the run-flats are good enough to hide the inherent negatives from the steering feel and feedback, or from disturbing the composure. Unless we use some electronic trickery.

Driving the 'standard' 530d back to back with a 535i, which had different wheels and the sport box, hence adjustable steering response, etc., which was a much better drive, was clear these cars will be very much spec' sensitive. (What's new?) Since the test drives, I've looked up the UK car mag' test reports and most comment on a less than perfect drive in the standard offering. We are getting "the Jaguar XF is a more fluid drive", which I'm afraid I must agree with, against the standard off the shelf BMW. The XF does work well on UK roads.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0