View Single Post
      05-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #17
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
looking for a fun car, something that will need my full attention and involvement to drive. i'm a sucker for craftsmanship and precision. function is more important that form. something that's fast in turns and in a straight-line. occasional track day, no gtr. not in a rush, can for sure wait for new models to come out.

here's what i'm thinking;

1. porsche turbo (maybe the s, waiting for the new 991)
love how the porsche is economical and practical in every way yet blistering fast and fun

2. r8 v10 (not sure on which transmission, both are fun) for sure convertible.
very classy much like an IWC or panerai watch. simple yet sexy. anyone can drive this one and have fun. everyone knows what it is.

3. mercedes sls amg (roadster, or maybe the coupe)
really enjoy the dct and the 6.2 NA engine. great fun for a daily, yet a bit boring for the price tag.

can't really think of anything else i'd like.
A couple of things.....

You say you want craftmanship and precision. Then you say function is more important than form. To me, it looks like you really want both.

I have actually narrowed my "ultimate car" to 5 from current/soon-to-come offerings:

911 turbo
R8 V10 spyder
Aston Martin Vantage
Jaguar XKR-S
C7 Corvette

The Aston may be a bit slower, but if you want precision and craftsmanship, it gets no finer. The Jag is very similar to the Aston in looks/design, and packs much more serious power. The 911 needs no commentary....we all know what it is about. The R8 may be the best combination of everything however.

If you are willing to wait a bit, the C7 Corvette may be a game changer. Supposedly, the interior will finally reach premium class, and the performance of the Vette has always been undeniable.

The M5 and M6 are also up for consideration, but they are just getting so big. It's a bit of a turn-off for me. Really, what was wrong with the size of the e39 M5? Imagine a car that size with a 560hp V8 TT !!!!