View Single Post
      08-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Wow I am very impressed by this car, in fact i'm floored. It looks like the 550i will be a winner for BMW from a design point of view and I know they are going to bring turbo power to the car as well. Does anyone know what engines will be in the lineup of cars to hit the US? I assume a 535i will be there and a 550i, but any other engines?

From a design POV im particularly impressed that they went with a Concept CS style hood that is on the GT as well, its like a more flowing and raked design of the classic E39 hood with its prominent central hump that can be seen from any angle and is characteristic..... I love it and think its perfect. The front grills also look very prominent and classic in shape which is a must in order to keep the cars identitiy as a BMW. The headlights we are still yet to see but I think they will be unique as compared to the rest of the BMW lineup as BMW did with the E60. I think the top will be sharp and crisp but not overtly overly doneup as the E60 was.

The body goes back to the nice inverted V shape when looking at the car from the front or back and that gives a very sporty look to the car IMO, I didnt like how the E60 gave that up and could look like a refrigerator from certain angles (dont get me wrong, im a big fan of the E60!). What I mean is this shape when you look from the rear

/-----\
/_____\

You get the idea

From the rear, the car looks well put together with little perceptible gaps and should look chunky and solid. WHat im not completly sold on are the rear taillights which look far too angular from what we are seeing so far. It could be that rounded details are simply masked from sight but I hope the rear lights are not completly angular as it will look very similar to the just released E Class which I don't particularly like
Appreciate 0