View Single Post
      07-07-2014, 05:19 AM   #66
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

As far as "drop-ins" go, there is a lot of cutting and sealing involved to make a pair of filters. Plus the stock filters are glued in, and the seal comes out in pieces.

Concerning putting cones up front, I believe it can be done, but it's going to be expensive. You have a pretty good idea with an adapter to put a cone on the end of the stock air inlet, but all of those pieces fit together really loose and you would suck up a lot of engine bay crap in my opinion. I think I can get 3" tubing to the front, but I need a lot of random bends to play with. It's a process, but I'm down with whatever makes power. I think I might order a tight radius 180 degree bend to see if it will fit. That will be our tightest fit, from my current intakes circled back to the front.

Keep the ideas coming, I'll try just about anything to see if it makes power.

***Quick update

With the stock intake bottoms installed temperatures were definitely cooler. Before putting the bottoms back on the intakes would be too hot to touch, but after the spirited drive to work which allowed time to get fully up to temperature, the intakes were just warm. So without using a pyrometer, the touch test says it helped knock down the temperature.

Last edited by gclions; 07-07-2014 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0