bmwombat
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey;1266****
So I bought a F10 550i about 2 month ago, but it didn't have an adapter for Iphone 4 & 4S and i wanted to wait for the new Iphone 5 to come out, since i heard that it will have a different port and therefore i will need a different adapter for the car. Apple said something about cable adapters in the car can use a $29.99 adapter but what about original snap in adapter???
Apple had confirmed today that the new Iphone 5 will have a new 8 pin port and i am going to buy that phone on the 9/14 (online).
In their presentation they said that they are working with different accessory vendors to make new iphone's just as usable as 4s.
Where does BMW stand here? does anyone know when BMW will start selling these adapters to ppl in the USA?
please post any info on this thread for everyone who's interested.
thank you
OK...so here in Australia I am tossing up about adding the option 6NF Music Interface for Smartphones ($A220 - we don't have the 6NR option here)) which allows integration of iPhone 3, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S when using the Genuine BMW Accessory snap in adaptor (playback of music via the in-car system and track names shown on the Control Display); also allows phone calls using the car built-in antenna but (I am told) even if you buy the right snap-in adaptor, it won't work unless your car is specc'd with the 6NF option.

That's what the dealers have told me but I'd love to know any feedback to the contrary especially as I'm trying to make up my mind about buying the 6NF option in my currently ordered car (Carbon Black F10 535d M-Sport) in the "hope" that it will support the iPhone 5 sometime next year. I have asked the dealer & this is what they have fed back to me (from BMW Germany) -

"...the new Apple iPhone 5 was launched this week and its technical changes brought up some challenges for our in car connection concept as we know it from the former iPhone devices.

The changes in comparison to its forerunners are numerous and overall technically complex. Especially the introduction of the new 5 pole connector as well as the abolition of the analogue audio and video signal within its connector has an evidentially impact on our product portfolio (iPhone snap in adapter and iPhone cable solutions)!
BMW is already in the process of analysing all technical information supplied by Apple. First technical tests took place at Apple and compatibility tests with BMW vehicle network will take place during the next weeks.

At the moment, we have following technical situation in terms of iPhone 5 and our accessories products on offer:

1. With the new iPhone 5, Apple abandons its "iPod-out" function. As resulting consequence, this functionality does no longer support any BMW Apps and MINI Connected. This means no direct display of customers iPhone monitor on the onboard monitor!
2. Apple introduced a new connector - 5 poles – which is currently not available on the world market for OEMs (estimated availability November 2012). Only when Apple provides all necessary technical background information on its new connector, BMW will able to start their development of a new snap in adapter (SIA) for iPhone 5. A correspondent request was already forward to Apple.
At the moment, we are unable to offer any snap in adapter solution for iPhone 5 customers who have following options in their vehicles:
o BMW options: 6NE, 6NF or 633/644
o MINI options: 6NM & 606
The development of a new SIA for iPhone 5 is under way and will take at the best 7 months. You should not expect an approved snap in adapter before 06/2013.

3. The Apple Lightning-connector, which was announced for end of October 2012, will not connect with our board system for BMW & MINI. Apple already informed BMW about its compatibility problems. Furthermore neither our audio adapter cable (pa/no. 0 440 812) nor the video-/audio adapter cable (pa/no. 2 179 623) is compatible with iPhone 5.
4. Apple provides a "white cable" with every device sold. However, this cable does not offer any solution in terms of a connection to our BMW & MINI board network because BMW has not finished its intensive technical tests and won't give confirmation of its compatibility yet.".

I have ordered 2 iPhone 5s (1 for me & 1 for the missus) but am keeping my iPhone 4, but I would really like the car to also support the iPhone 5 via the (yet to be available) BMW adaptor. I'm thinking I'll order 6NF & hope all it'll need will be the new iPhone 5 adaptor - worst case is I have to buy an iPhone 4 adaptor & just use that in the car...& yes, I know it should all work fine via bluetooth streaming as well.

Anyway - look forward to hearing more via this thread as we all get more news.