01-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #11
DLerner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, X164 GL550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Although I haven't approached this fix in an F10, if the seat heater element is being energized properly, then the element must be defective.

So, if someone has already tested that power is arriving at the element, then replacing the element is likely your only course of action.

It should be clarified that the element is most likely in the leather seat COVER, not the "bottom portion of the seat". It certainly should not be $3000.

The expense is either because they quoted you a whole seat bottom, rather than a cover. Or it's just good old dealer labor rates kicking you in the butt.

I've been puzzled by the relatively low amount of DIY information in the F10 community. The earliest F10s are 8 years old now, with potentially hundreds of thousands of miles on them. As I've owned cars over the years it's the usual pattern - in the early full warranty/low mileage years everyone's just talking about tint, wheels and audio systems. But by the time warranties are expiring, the DIY talk starts up.

For whatever reason, it feels like the F10 community has never gone over the hump into DIY territory, or I'm reading the wrong forums.
My F10 is 7 years old and has been trouble free so far. I haven't been as lucky with my other car (7 year old MB). For that car, I'm constantly searching for answers to issues and DIY repairs.

Interesting on the seat heater element being integrated into the seat cover. I had always assumed it was a separate pad sandwiched between the foam and leather for easier repair/replacement.
Appreciate 0