03-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #22
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb
Pfffttt. You can get any half decent shop to repair curb rash on their painted rims for like $100 or so. Why blow thousands when you could just repair them when you need to for dirt cheap? Tires aren't that expensive anyway. Do you plan to repair all 4 rims and bust through 8 tires in 3 years? I didn't think so.

I live in LA, and our roads are full of potholes and crap much like other big cities. I think I only had 2 flats in 3 years of ownership on my M3. One was repaired free at a tire shop with a plug. The other happened within America's Tire 3 mo warranty on new tires and they replaced it free. I have a slight bit of curb rash on one rim.
Tires aren't that expensive?? Curb rash fixed for $100?? Conrad's, you must be kidding!! Wheel & Tire Protection is worth it's weight in gold!

We get massive potholes in the DC Metro Area. Forget curb rash, try bent wheels and bubbled tires. Your M3 came with either Dunlops or Michelin tires! Goodyear's LS2 run flats used on our 5's are infamous for bubbling! Since my earlier post I've knotted up two more tires and bent 2 wheels! BMW charges about $500 per tire installed and wheel shops in our area charge about $175 to repair bends and an additional $75 for resurfacing.

Now let's talk about SafeGuard, the company who manages BMW's Wheel & Tire Protection Plan. Knock on wood, I haven't seen any issues with them regarding filing claims on replacing tires. Now how they handle wheel damage is a different story! My Service Advisor told me that SafeGuard is really finicky about damaged wheels. They don't cover cosmetic damage, and in many cases will only repair the wheel if the bend or crack prevents it from holding air in the tire! Since this was the case, SafeGuard sent a Wheel Repair truck which straightened and repaired my wheels.

So yes, on these Goodyear RFT's you will go through multiple tires! Include a bent or cracked rim then it's worth the peace of mind of having wheel and tire protection! I plan on definitely getting this on my next BMW!!!