01-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I moved from a E39 530I Msport Auto to a F10 530D Msport.
I still have my E39 530i, but I (and my wive) prefer the F10 520d any day! To me the 530i seems underpowered, also in normal daily driving conditions. This because of the 5-step AT in combo with an engine merely producing 300Nm to motivate a pile of steel that weights a lot. On top, mine is no Msport, so the lack of a sport suspension is not adding to the total either. Things only start moving above 4000rpm. The sound it produces is omnipresent and never fades to the back ground.

The 520s is such a better car for pretty all aspects! I would consider a sport suspension though (I guess ED has it standard) since handling is also compromised by comfy setup. The strong point of the small diesel is that in daily driving, it still has torque. This torque avoids that it feels underpowered. You'll have the 380Nm at 1500rpm when the 530i is only producing about 200Nm. Of course, when you rev it out, no great things happen either.

Is it such a special feeling car like the Z4? not by a long shot. It's just a very, very, very omnipotent good car with exceptional value. To that respect it outclasses the Z4.

But when you compare the 530d with the 520d, of course the latter is no close match at all, but the running costs either...
Appreciate 0