View Single Post
      12-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggreglas View Post
An engine never bogs down when you downshift - that's simply not possible. If you go down in gear, the engine must by necessity go up in revs.

When you're driving stick, you rev match with the throttle so that you don't "rev match" with the clutch (in a jerky, wear-inducing fashion).

I've never experienced an automatic that had a jerk caused by a downshift. Since a torque converter has a lot of play (when it isn't locked up), it should bring the engine up to speed smoothly.

Either the SAT shifts so quickly that it needs to use the throttle to rev match for smooth shifts (it *is* ridiculously fast, so maybe), or it's all a giant pile of marketing BS.
That's not correct. A rev matching auto blips the throttle before the downshift, not as a result of the downshift. BIG difference.
It reduces engine braking as well as creates less strain on the transmission.
Engine braking going into a turn is exactly what you don't want to do, rev-matching solves that problem.
If you think it's BS, I suggest you read a few of the many articles/reviews on rev-matching automatics pertaining to the various manufacturers that have implemented this functionality. I believe Nissan/Infiniti pioneered it, then Jaguar adopted it, then others followed.