View Single Post
      12-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #56
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzbullseye View Post
They diagnosed the issue as a bad cell and replaced the battery under warranty. The warning indicator was being triggered primarily because the turbo cooling fans continued to run after the engine was switched off. This behavior, while normal and to be expected, was causing the battery to discharge to a point beyond tolerance. A healthy battery supports this behavior and can fully recharge - a battery with bad cells cannot.
Good to know.

In my climate, dealers install a factory trickle charger with a built in charging port under the front bumper (you can barely see it). I've plugged it in overnight a couple of times in the past 3 weeks just to make sure the battery doesn't discharge too far. I haven't seen a warning message in my car yet. We are going on vacation for 2 /12 weeks next weekend and I plan to leave the trickle charger plugged in while I'm away.

I always lock the car when I leave it to make sure everything shuts down and goes to sleep. Hopefully I won't have a problem. Seems crazy to have to plug a modern car in, when we haven't had to install block heaters in our cars since 1998, but I guess all of the electronics place allot of demand on the glass mat battery.