04-16-2015, 05:32 AM   #470
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalithS View Post
Thanks gspannu. So from what you say even if the coding is reverted back before going to the dealers they can see a change log which would show them that is has changed. Makes coding a bit of a risk I guess if they can see what you have done previously.
Not exactly. As I wrote, I am not aware of any dealer who even knows that coding exists. Or put it another way, I have had a dealer request me to change their own cars to disable Auto Start Stop - and they still do not know how it has been done. I am not saying all dealers are unaware; but majority are.

It is only if the dealer suspects that there has been a software fault, and they go about specifically digging into some logs; and then they they might notice that something has been changed. Whether they can attribute the change to you and make a warranty claim void is a debate.

- Can BMW (from a technical capability perspective) find out whether you have coded your car or not? The answer is YES.
- Does a dealer check that a car has been coded? The answer is NO.
- Will a dealer check that you have coded your car if there is a software issue. The answer is usually NO.
- Can a dealer find out if your car has been coded, if he specifically thinks that some misuse has happened. The answer is YES.

At the end of the day, it is a risk that you have to be prepared to take vis-à-vis the benefits of the features you get via coding. I have coded cars over a 100 times, and so far no one has ever reported a dealership having an issue. Country wide there would be thousands of coded cars and dealers none the wiser.
I never code back any changes before taking my car to the dealership. Have been coding for over 3 years. My own cars have been coded and I continue to do more modifications as and when I find time.
At some level it is all irrelevant; its your choice and the appetite for the risk.

Last edited by gspannu; 04-16-2015 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0