11-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #32
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Series 5 520d se f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Well, our keys have two modes of operation:

ACTIVE: The battery in the key serves to encode the raw RFID signal. Extra security can be encoded in the data stream. Plus, the key, in active mode responds to pings from the car to ensure it is in vicinity of the car. It's not too strong so that the cars transceivers can determine where the key is, outside the car and not in the car or in the trunk.

Passive mode: This mode passes the raw rfid signal from the remote to the vehicle without battery. This is similar to rfid. Since no battery power is used, proximity is important and you hold the key close to the area on the steering column.

The active and passive methods can generate completely different codes using differing methodologies.

Now, since the video shows the door opening that tells me they are using th active code to amplify and transmit.

This means you might be able to protect yourself by taking the battery out of your FOBS at night.

The passive mode is not used for unlocking the car; hence, the reason for the metal key inside your fob.

This is very interesting - thanks for sharing your knowledge. Am I right to say that if you remove the battery for a long period of time, the data held in the car fob would be lost? As far as I am aware, the data I am talking about is mileage of the car, what service and where the car has had...
Appreciate 0