View Single Post
      03-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
Well the new ones are rated @ 299/442, so it's probably just some mods (intake, possibly headers, exhaust, etc.) and some software. Doubt there's anything seriously different going on. Sort of how the 335is and Z4 sDrive35is (or whatever it's called) has a 15-20 hp difference...just a diff intake (and probably some software), even though the engine is essentially the same.

Read somewhere that the new 535d gets 46mpg highway...if accurate...that's pretty f'in insane. I know that conflicts with the quoted article, but just saying.

They need to get this to the states ASAP!!!

Seems like all BMW motors are underrated these days. The new N57 probably puts out 330hp or so at the crank.
The big question is whether the HP ratings will be the same in the US version. Today's US-spec 335d has lower peak power than the Euro version, though the torque is identical.

I wonder if that has to do with more restrictive exhaust, or maybe the motor is detuned slightly to work with the lowest common denominator of 40 cetane diesel in the US (whereas Europe is 51 minimum I think). From what I've read, Chevron diesel is consistently 47 or above so it's close to europe's fuel.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0