04-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #16
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
as mentioned try to look for a later model year f10 (either way you go) specially for the 550i in 2014 they came out with the n63 tu and there is alot of enhancements in terms of reliability.

the n55 which originally came out as a twin turbo (forget the code) in the 335i in 2004, had alot of issues early on, this is why i never buy a car in its first 2 years of production run, i typically like to buy one thats been out for 3 years at least or wait and get the LAST model year....
That would be the N54... From https://www.bmwn54tuners.com

Quote:
N54 vs. N55 Reliability: Which Engine is More Reliable?

This is always a touchy subject when it comes to discussions about the N54 and N55. Simply put, the N55 is more reliable. BMW’s N54 was the first mass production turbocharged gasoline engine produced by BMW in decades. Looking at BMW’s current line-up in 2017, which is mostly turbocharged, I believe it is fair to say the N54 was in many ways an “experiment”. The N54 was notorious for its common and troubling issues early on. Fuel injectors, the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump), and waste-gate rattle plagued the N54 for the first several years of its production. These are among several other issues that have convinced some BMW owners to avoid the N54. However, BMW offered many recalls and extended warranties to help remedy the reliability issues
Appreciate 0